Shamans do many things. A lot of it is “healing work” but that can manifest in many forms:
- Writer — The most obvious thing I do as a Shaman, is write these blog posts about Shamanism and about the Earthways Shamanic Path. I start with the kernel of an idea, set it down and it unfolds. I have to step aside when the words flow, or else the message gets mixed up. I write in an Altered State.
- Founder–The second thing I do as a Shaman, is nurture the Earthways Shamanic Path. I arrange for ceremonies and classes. I get the rooms or spaces and post the announcements. I write the class materials and the ceremonies. I haul the ceremonial or instructional material to/from the location. I set up the Altar or training space, establish sacred space, conduct the class or ritual, thank and release the energies, close it all out and pack it all up.
- Diplomat — I assist other people when they are conducting training or ceremonies. Sometimes I function as a diplomat between groups and help carry the message from one group to another.
- Coach — I’m here to Listen to people. People seek me out, send me messages, talk to me, ask me questions. I respond with information, insights, “thoughts and prayers,” and referrals. This is what I call, Shamanic Coaching. I don’t know everything, but I know many people, all with their own areas of expertise. I check in with them on a regular basis and learn more.
- Facilitator — I arrange sometimes directly, and sometimes indirectly, for you to meet people or receive information or make connections or to have experiences.
- Prayer-er — I say “Prayers Going Up,” and send prayers to people because I BELIEVE it helps. I visualize my prayers going up from a sacred fire or a candle or even a crystal, and I see it going UP and reaching the person in need. It is Energy/Love and not directed to a specific outcome.
- Healer — when people need healing, I serve as a conduit of energy.
- Singer/Teacher — I am connected to music, through the Whales. I sing songs, and each people to sing these songs. This is a healing aspect.
- Explorer/Journeyer/Connector — I go out in Nature and renew my connection to everything that is there. I meet and greet the helpers in the Plants, Trees, Birds, Insects, animals, the water, the wind — what ever is there. I gather plant materials to learn what can be used for smudging. I am a Water Warrior.
- Researcher/Journeyer — I research techniques to achieve Altered States of Reality. “Oh, the places I have been.” I teach what I have learned. I attend classes, ceremonies and events. I read.
- I’m a Change Agent. I help people make changes that they want to make. Sometimes, I’m a catalyst: I don’t change much, when I provide you with a book to read, or a phone number to call for information on a subject you are interested in, but it might be something that helps you make a big change. But if I conduct a class or a ceremony, or attend an event with you, I am learning and growing, along with you.
- Medicine Carrier — be it songs, or jars of smudging materials, or a book, or a feather, I bring with me, elements of ceremony and ritual which are essential to complete the healing that is to take place.
[Digression: if the word ‘Shaman’ doesn’t seem to fit for a person who does all of this, what would you call them?]
Share your talents and skills and passion (“Your Peace”) with Mother Earth, Father Sky, and the Big Waters all around us.
Learn more about the Earthways Shamanic Path by visiting, Earthways Shamanic Path
(c) 2017 to present, Whale Maiden for the Earthways Shamanic Path. All rights reserved.