Towards a New Age-Pagan Treatise
Last week a confluence of cultural and religious events and experiences led me to transcribe a series of belief statements which I think can be called a modern New Age-Pagan Treatise.
In roughly chronological order the experiences included:
A. Listening to My Chemical Romance (MCR)’s newest cd, “Danger Days–True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys” which is based somewhat on the various apocalypse movies, such as Mad Max and maybe Blade Runner, and which contains the following three Truths:
i. “Everybody wants to change the World,”
ii. “Everybody wants to live forever, no body wants to die,”
iii. “You can live forever if you’ve got the time.”
B. Attending the UU Church service where the –sermon– was about the Three Magi and how they were men of wisdom — they were magicians or wizards, depending upon your word choice but they were also what a lot of people mean when they call themselves Light Workers. I hadn’t thought of Light Workers as going back that far in history before, but it makes sense to me.
C. Seeing the Chronicles of Narnia movie, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, in which the truths of other realities was reinforced: that animals talk (that we can communicate with beings other than ourselves,) that magic is apparent in everyday life, and that swords and rocks and other objects have special functions.
D. Then there was the Solstice+Full Moon+Eclipse, which had most people I know just buzzing with all the energies and the vibrations.
So here are the belief statements: We the New Age-Pagans believe:
1. We believe in a Positive Force greater than ourselves, but to which we are also connected.
2. We believe we are of the Light Side. Many of us believe we are Light Workers.
3. We believe we will live forever, that we have lived before.
4. We believe we can access magic.
5. We follow our Intuition and base our decisions on signs and signals.
6. We believe we are, to some extent, invincible. (If we get wounded, we believe someone will come along with a spell or an ointment or a touch and patch us back up through various healing arts; but they have to come along timely and sometimes, if our wound is too severe (or caused by Evil,) then we pass on.
7. Many of us believe that those of us (Light Workers) alive now, will be alive to witness the “coming End Times,” or certainly that our Light Working skills will be called upon in 2012, or other times.
8. We believe we can communicate with all beings, not just people.
9. In spite of our efforts and good intentions, we know there is a Dark Side, which most of us actively work to oppose.
10. We take names that signify our Journies.