HURRICANE ANXEITY IS NEVER A NAMED STORM. Honorable Shamans and Fellow Pagans, I am taking steps this year to reduce my own anxiety about hurricanes, and offer these suggestions for you to try.
- Be prepared with supplies. Gather and maintain these items for the next few months:
- – a week of your normal medicines, including over-the-counter and Rx.
- 1 gallon of water per person & animal per day, 5 days worth. You can collect empty containers now, and fill them up when you need them. Remember you can fill your bathtub with water, too.
- – Food – 5 days worth of canned and packaged food, and, a manual can opener. Non-perishable food, too.
- – Evacuation cash. How much money do you need to travel 300 miles north to get out of Florida? (Or, out of harm’s way,) And to return?
- Have a Plan. Figure out where you live, and how vulnerable your property is to storms of different strengths. Decide where you will go, if you need to evacuate.
- Accept forces of Nature. The Gods/Nature, are in charge. The Planet will survive this storm, it is a natural event.
- Storms are temporary, recovery takes time. The recovery aspects can be difficult to work through, but it can be done.
- Imagine the worst, and walk through the what-if steps. This sounds like it might make you feel more anxious, but it can be helpful to consider what you would have to do to get a new roof, or, to remove a fallen tree from your yard. This gives you an opportunity to check your insurance policies, and practice calling contractors. Be sure to only used licensed contractors for repairs.
- Stay in touch with loved ones, even if they are freaking out. Let them know what you plan to do, and check in with them regularly. But don’t let them harass you, or talk you into evacuating if you don’t need to.
- Continue your life already in progress. This is the most important thing.
- Do meditation, or practice deep breathing,
- Do movement like yoga, or stretching. Remember to warm up before you put up shutters, and do counter-stretches after shutter work.
- Stay well hydrated. Be sure to drink water, regularly.
- Have Faith. Do rituals. This time of year, we call upon our Gods more than other times. Engage your gods in your preparations.
- Some people work with the forces of Nature, to pray or other wise work with the energies to reduce the strength of the storm, or to turn the storm out to sea.
- Stay informed about news, but don’t obsess. Decide to watch the weather a set number of times, like maybe 4 times per day, when a named storm is projected. Try to avoid houry updates. If you must watch the weather news, turn the sound down, so their “emergency dance beat music” does not agitate you. <I wish TWC would stop that.>>
- Above all, don’t isolate yourself. Reach out to your neighbors, help each other.
Remember, Share your Peace, (your caring, calm, compassion) with Mother Earth, Father Sky, and the Big Waters All Around Us. Be Greatful, For We Are Love.
(c) 2018 to present by Whale Maiden for the Earthways Shamanic Path. All rights reserved.
Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone