HURRICANE SEASON IS COMING* , and it is time to check your plans.
(*) The Atlantic Hurricane Season, according to NOAA, runs from June 1 to November 30. In the Earthways Shamanic Path, we observe Hurricane Season which starts around August 15 and runs to October 15. It’s a micro-season.
Each day in July, the Gulf of Mexico water temperature increases, the average daily temperature increases, and the whole Southwest Florida region ripens for a Hurricane.
It is us well past time, Honorable Shamans and Fellow Pagans, for you to make your plans so that you can keep you and your family (however you define that word,) safe.
1. Learn every thing you can about how hurricanes (“tropical disturbsnces”) form, and how they move around. You must know the difference between a parallel storm, an exiting storm, and, an onshore storm. (On shore storms are also “entering” storms, they make landfall. ) The way these storms interact on the Southwest coast, are different from the Southeast coast. You should know why.
2. You should know what the Saffer-Simpson Scale is. Google-thusly.
3. Elevation determines evacuation times. You should know how many feet you live above sea level. The smaller the number, the more likely you will be asked to evacuate your home during a big storm.
4. You need to decide, depending on where you live, and for each type of storm (parallel, exiting, onshore), what you and your family plan to do, for the different strengths of storms.
5. Every family is different, and family needs sometimes change. Perhaps your family now includes a woman who is now 8 1/2 months pregnant. Or, perhaps you now have a new born. Or maybe you are now caring for a frail eldey person. Or puppies. This is the time to find shelters which can accommodate your needs.
6. Every family’s resources are different, and changable. For example, if you normally have a reliable car, what would you do if you needed to evacuate from an onshore storm, but your only car is in the shop, and you have been commuting by bicycle.
A typical stormy afternoon in Florida.
7. Plan, don’t panic. There is a lot to consider, but if you think about it now, today, and by that I mean over the weekend, you should be able to have an idea, before the middle of August. Make a gaming session out of it. (If this, tgen that…) Then, you can relax and go about your regular day-to-day adventures.
8. The Spiritual aspect of Hurricane Season is this: how do you balance the need to plan, the tendency to panic, and the goal of relaxing into your life on a day-to-day basis. You just do it.
Honor the Seasons where you live. Delve deeper and Share your Peace with Mother Earth and Father Sky and the Big Waters all around us.
(c) 2017 to present, Whale Maiden for the Earthways Shamanic Path. All rights reserved.